The use of what I call trigger columns allows for Hyperion Financial Reporting to display rolling Years and Periods, whether your requirement is for a 2 or 12 month rolling report. The Trigger section of the report requires both the ‘Year’ and ‘Period’ dimension to be columns on the report, while any dimension; such as Account or Product, can be included on the rows. The steps below detail a rolling 5-month solution.
Step 1: Add data columns for all 12 periods (Jan-Dec).
These columns will function as the Trigger section, essentially telling the other columns what the end-user selected for Period. This is important because later sections of the report require knowledge of the selected Period to ultimately decide what is displayed.
- These 12 columns MUST be Data columns.
- These 12 columns MUST be hidden.
- The Period member selection MUST be set to “Current Point of View for Period”.
- The Year member can be any member – not relevant to the trigger.
- Optional: Overwrite the Period POV cell with the 12 periods (Jan-Dec) as shown below.